If your a chocoholic like me I can assure you that you will love this one. I found this one in a Sam Stern cookery book called get cooking, since then it has become a much loved favorite in our household so hopefully you like it just as much.
Ingredients For 4
- 1 tsp of instant coffee
- 1 1/2 tbsp of boiling water
- 4 oz of soft butter
- 4 oz of caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 oz of self raising flour
- 1 oz of cocoa
- Icing sugar for topping
- 1 level tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 oz of soft brown sugar
- 150 ml of boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (160 fan oven)
- Grease base and sides of a 850 ml/ 1 1/2 pint oven proof dish.
- Mix coffee and boiling water, stirring to dissolve
- Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until light, pale and creamy. (I personally use the cheats method and use a blender, aren't I lazy?!)
- Beat eggs with a fork add to the mix bit by bit beating as you go. add a pinch of flour if it threatens to curdle. when creamy, add vanilla. Add the flour and cocoa in and then the liquid coffee.
- Fold everything together with a metal spoon till it just falls off the end of your spoon.
- Spoon into the dish leveling the top.
- mix brown sugar and cocoa in a bowl. stir in the hot water pour over the sponge. Like he says, it looks crazy and like a cruel joke but trust me it's worth it, stay with it!
- Sit it in a roasting tin with enough boiling water to reach half way up the sides.cook for 45 minutes or longer till well risen. A tooth pick should come out clean.Sift icing sugar.
Hope you like it.